Monday, February 8, 2010

Growing in Grace

This past weekend was RUF's Winter Conference for all the Georgia schools. We brought 14 students from Kennesaw State down to Forsyth, GA for the weekend. The theme of this year's conference was "Growing in Grace." Worship sessions, prayer, seminars, dodgeball, and a bonfire were among the many activities of the weekend.

I had the privilege of leading a seminar for girls about our body image in light of God's grace. I called it "Mirror, Mirror on the wall." My prayer for my seminar was that the girls would come away from it thinking about the ways in which their body image is or can become an idol. We had two sessions, one Saturday morning and one Saturday evening. Both sessions went well. I wanted to convey the message that obsessing over our looks is our way of showing that we don't believe that we are loved enough, let alone infinitely loved by THE GOD OF THE UNIVERSE!! I also wanted to stress that beauty is more than what we look like.

In preparing for this talk, I learned a lot about the ways in which I struggle with finding myself beautiful. The Lord was teaching me, even as I was hearing myself talk. It's a beautiful thing to be able to encourage young women in the freedom the Gospel gives.

Overall, the weekend went well with no major obstacles. i hope that all the students and leaders have gone home encouraged and excited about the lifelong process of growing in grace.

Here's a picture of me and the girls on the night of the bonfire.

No comments: