Friday, June 13, 2008

Hello Atlanta

After driving around the southeastern United States for the past week and a half, I am ready to trade in my car keys for a pair of sneaker and some comfy socks. As exhausting as my various trips were, they were also enjoyable and enlightening.

I started my 1600 mile journey by driving from Gainesville to Atlanta for RUF Staff Training. I was overwhelmed by the experience. Somewhere between meeting new people and signing papers, I got lost in a sea of information. I spent most of Tuesday on the brink of tears; some spilled out against my hardest efforts to hold them back. We were being told to take care of ourselves throughout the internship, not to retreat into a shell where no one can reach us. I had a hard time taking this in because I don't take care of myself now. I'm getting better at letting people help me, but I don't want to get to the point where I depend on people over God. On Tuesday, they also talked about fundraising...enough said. Trust God!

The rest of the week was more uplifting and encouraging. The RUF Staff are amazing people who truly care about you and love you. The other new interns were a fun bunch and I look forward to getting to know each of them better.



Before driving back to Gainesville on Thursday, I took a 20 minute drive north of Atlanta to visit Kennesaw State University. I bought a KSU t-shirt and toured the campus. Though Chris Bowen, the campus minister at KSU, wasn't physically there, he was nice enough to give me a tour of the campus by phone. KSU is definitely different from the University of Florida in many ways, but that doesn't worry me. In fact, I like that it's so different from what I'm used to.



On Friday, I drove from Gainesville to Jacksonville for a friend's wedding. It was beautiful to see two wonderful people come together as one before God. I wish them nothing but the best. Immediately after the reception I drove to Miami where I spent two days enjoying the company of family and friends. By Tuesday night, I was back in Gainesville in time for summer RUF large group. What a week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures!
It's true that we should depend on God above everyone else, but remember that God is the one who places everyone in your life at the times when you need them. So it's okay to depend on people sometimes because they are the instruments He is using. How great!