Thursday, August 14, 2008

There's Coffee in Georgia

Did you know that Coffee is in Georgia. No, I'm not talking about the drink. I am talking about the county! Sounds like my kind of place. And what's up with every street name having "peachtree" in it. I still have yet to see one actual peachtree. (Though I wouldn't know what a peachtree without peaches looks like.)

Georgia is certainly different from Florida. With cities like Rome, Athens, Dallas, Nashville, and Gainesville, Georgia is made up of familiar names and unfamiliar places. Aren't there enough creative minds out there to come up with unique city names? I have known that Gainesville is not a city name unique to Gator Country, but it's still weird to drive through Georgia and see signs for Gainesville.

Even weirder yet, is writing the letters "GA" next to the space marked "State." I've moved around enough times in my lifetime that a new street address is not all that out of the ordinary. However, the first few times I wrote my new address I had to pause when I got to the state. Other than having spent many childhood summer vacations in Haiti with my grandparents and extended family, the only places I have been able to call home are Miami and Gainesville. (We'll ignore the fact that there's a Miami, Ohio.)

I like my new state. It's temperate. It's scenic. It's diverse. It's not far from Florida. I could see myself living here for a while, but who knows where the Lord will lead me in years to come? I've only been here for a bit, 14 days to be exact. I've only had a taste of what the peach state has to offer, but based on this taste, I'd order it "for here," not "to go."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you didn't tell me you were a writer...